These are frequently asked questions regarding the RMM Suite and MSP Builder products.
Click on the question to display or hide the answer.
- We're an enterprise user of VSA, not an MSP. Will it work for us?
- The tool helps enterprise IT teams just as much as MSPs. One of our corporate clients is a construction company in NYC that has about 200 endpoints and several jobsite locations. The configuration and administration for an enterprise environment is usually a bit easier to integrate because you don’t have multiple client configurations to deal with. We can still help leverage custom automation across departments or sites, which is more typical in enterprise deployments.
- Does this work in a SaaS environment?
- Yes, our entire RMM Suite is fully supported in SAAS. The ITP service must run on your own server, however, when used with a SAAS solution.
- What does it cost?
- At just $199 monthly, the RMM Suite is exceptionally cost effective for even the smallest MSP or IT department. The RMM Suite has a one-time cost of $2,995 (US) which includes installation, configuration assistance, and 8 hours of training. All training classes are available on-demand for as long as you remain a customer as your staff grows or wants a refresher course. We also offer payment plans for the install and training services. EMM components are billed based on usage.
- How does EMM Usage-Based Billing work?
- The EMM components, including Daily Maintenance and Smart Monitors are premium services that significantly reduce customer calls through regular daily maintenance, and reduce help-desk tickets by intelligently processing the event before it becomes a ticket. When the MSP enables EMM, it deploys to all managed agents. The MSP can control which customers receive the EMM services, often adding a monthly fee for the service. When these agents check in for licensing, the use is recorded, and the MSP receives a bill at the end of the month, based on the number of individual agents that requested licenses. Charges apply only for active use within a given calendar month.
- Are there any contracts that I'll be locked into?
- No! The RMM Suite components are subscription-based - stop using the software and we stop billing - you're in total control. The core Kaseya components that we provide, including views, policies, and procedures will continue to function.
- Is there a trial period available?
- Unfortunately, due to the level of integration and training we provide during setup, we can't offer a trial.
- What about installation?
- The entire suite is professionally installed and configured by the MSP Builder professional services team. The MSP must perform some planning and customization to accommodate environment and customer-specific needs - typically 4-6 hours. Our team guides you through the customization and initial product activation and provides 60 days of support as you continue to activate more clients with automation.
- We suggest that existing VSA platforms migrate 1-2 clients and wait a week before migrating the rest to validate the customizations, while fresh VSA installs using our solution can go live with clients as they come on-board.
- What is the lead time for installation?
- Depending on the number of customers in the queue, installation is usually scheduled 1-2 weeks in advance. This provides sufficient time for the MSP to assess customer requirements, collect information, and provide everything needed for a successful installation. A full implementation on a fresh VSA can be completed in just 2-3 days. An active VSA typically takes 7-10 days to complete due to the additional planning and configuration related to the existing customers.
- Does it interface with a PSA?
- The ITP service is designed as an intelligent interface between VSA and your PSA. The standard, email-based interface works with any PSA platform.
- Does it affect Kaseya support services?
- Not at all. The RMM Suite consists of highly tuned and customized VSA components, with added external tools. We don't modify the VSA platform in any way. If there is any question that our components could be contributing to a VSA issue, we work directly with you and Kaseya support to identify and resolve the situation.
- What about documentation?
- The entire RMM Suite has complete and thorough Operation & Customization Guides that detail the operation of the product. You can view them on the Documentation page. In addition, we provide more than a dozen ancillary documents that help the operation and organization of your RMM platform, including end-user (client) documentation and notifications.
- Do you offer training?
- Yes, in fact, it's not an option. We provide 6 hours to assist with the implementation and 8 hours of individual or small-group (web-based video-conference) training. We provide additional training resources, including access to our Video Training service, which covers our products, Operation and Best Practices for VSA, and several generic IT Best Practice topics. The video training sessions range from one to six approximately 50-minute long videos, include PDF training guides and PowerPoint slide decks, and a short exam.
- How often is the system updated?
- One of our Core Principals is "continuous improvement". To that end, we've developed the product to obtain updates directly from our cloud server. The endpoints check daily and download updates as soon as they are released into production. In some cases, VSA components such as procedures, monitor sets, or policies need to be updated or imported. We provide detailed instructions for these updates, and the MSP Builder support team can be employed to update your platform (at extra cost).
- What kind of improvements should I see in my operation?
- Increasing productivity through automation is what we’re all about, and we deliver it at a fair price, to boot. We use this solution in our own MSP practice. A year after switching from an ordinary VSA platform to one with all of our automation, we found that we had 62% fewer alerts hit the help desk and our engineers spent almost 50% less time on alert tickets (because the basic remediation steps were automated). We were able to increase our managed endpoints from 1200 to over 3000 without increasing help-desk staff. We still have just 3 engineers on help desk handling alerts and responding to live customer calls - a ratio that's more than twice the industry average. Many "nuisance" calls from customers are reduced or eliminated through daily maintenance.
Here are some hard numbers from Baroan Technologies:
- Oct. 2014 - No automation
- 106 clients totalling approximately 1200 endpoints. Averaging 200 alerts per day (about 1 in 6 or 16.7%) - 5 help desk agents
- Dec. 2015 - Core Automation
- 82 clients totalling approximately 1800 endpoints. Averaging 75 alerts per day (about 1 in 24, or 4.2%) - 3 help desk agents
- Dec. 2017 - Core Automation & EMM & ATP
- 96 clients totalling approximately 3100 endpoints. Averaging 16 alerts per day (about 1 in 188, or 0.5%) - 3 help desk agents
Onboarding time is also significantly reduced - in about 6 minutes per agent, the agent is configured, tools are deployed, patching is configured and scheduled*, application updating is scheduled, a custom audit is completed, and monitors based on applications and services found by the audit are applied.
*Servers do not have patches scheduled automatically, but standard configuration settings are applied. Server schedules are defined via a custom field, applied manually based on server inter-dependencies.
Our customers find similar results - I had sent an update notice to our first customer recently and asked him how things were going. He had been using this solution for around 18 months. Here’s one of the comments from his response: “The operational efficiencies that were introduced with the product were absolutely worth the cost. I can’t imagine how many hours it would have taken us to put together something comparable on our own.”.